Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bell Ringing

Each year I volunteer to ring a bell for The Salvation Army. I began many years ago while serving in Prophetstown. In those days (as may still be the case), The Salvation Army administered emergency funds for our town, so we pastors regularly referred transients in need of assistance to The Salvation Army representative. This was a convenient and prudent way of helping folks who were passing through town.

The ministerial association rang bells in an effort to support The Salvation Army and to thank it for its ministry on our behalf. Each local pastor and members of his or her congregation took shifts standing in front of the grocery store, ringing a bell and thanking friends and neighbors for their contributions.

In Rockford I don’t see many people I know during my two hour bell ringing shifts. I am fairly anonymous here in Kmart’s vestibule. It is such an interesting experience. Some people pass by me and never look up. Others apologize for not having anything to put in the kettle. Some even apologize as they struggle to push an overloaded cart into the parking lot. Children often have a look of delight in their eyes as they deposit the loose change a parent has provided. Last week I would say that more than half of the people who passed my bucket put something in.

One woman stopped to talk. She said, “I wouldn’t be alive today if it hadn’t been for you. I try to give every time I see a red bucket. I am so thankful for you.”

I was taken aback. It was odd to receive such personal thanks—real, sincere, heartfelt thanks—on behalf of someone else, for something I had not done. My giving an occasional donation and ringing a bell certainly didn’t save her life. She didn’t know how little I had really done. Besides, I’m not even a member of The Salvation Army! But I do know it does good and important work. The proof of that was standing before me.

Each and every Sunday I thank the congregation I am visiting for its support of the synod and the ELCA. I try to make it personal, but that’s hard to do when addressing a whole congregation. I try to impress upon people the good and important work that we do and how appreciated their support is. So, please hear me as I say “thank you.” Yes, you. And, if you aren’t sure if you saved someone’s life today, or if your offerings really do matter, I would beg you to find out. Ask your pastor. Explore the ELCA website. We, as a church, have an amazing story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!