Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Professional Leaders Conference



Your pastor will be back in the office tomorrow!

For the past three days, 160 rostered leaders, interns, professional congregational leaders and spouses gathered together at Bishop Lane Retreat Center just outside of Rockford for this year’s Northern Illinois Synod Professional Leaders Conference. This annual conference is part retreat, part continuing education and part time spent with colleagues.

Bishop Lane was a new location for us after many years at Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. We seemed to adjust to the new venue fairly easily. I will be anxious to hear what the evaluations have to say.

We had two presenters this year. Dr. Richard Bliese, president of Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota shared his thoughts and experiences regarding evangelism. Dr. David Cherwein, cantor of Mt. Olive Lutheran Church in Minneapolis was our musician and engaged us in a lively discussion of music in worship. Both of our presenters were wonderful resources for us.

Each year, our bishop also addresses us. Bishop Wollersheim had a number of things to share, which will soon be posted on our synod’s Web site. I believe that we all paid a bit closer attention this year, since there is significant anxiety in some of our congregations and new stresses being experienced by many, if not most, of our rostered leaders.

It was really good to be together with colleagues for these three days. We learned together, ate together, played together (some played golf in the wind on Monday) and most importantly we worshiped together. We gathered around the Lord’s Table each day. We heard God’s Word read and powerfully proclaimed. We confessed our sin, were reminded of our baptism, and shared the Holy Communion.

Before I became part of the synod staff, I always made PLC a high priority. I have long been a proponent of good collegiality. Yes, in my current call I have to attend. But I want you to know, I would not have missed it. I thank all of my colleagues for the gifts they bring to our church and to my life and ministry. I also thank our congregations for allowing their leaders to make this event a high priority each year.

Your pastor will see you tomorrow!

Comments? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. --JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!