Friday, October 23, 2009

H1N1

I was waiting to be seated near the front door of the restaurant. From the kitchen I heard as loud a sneeze as I have ever heard, followed by “Wow!” It wasn’t the most appetizing moment. I briefly thought of turning around and heading out the door, but I stayed, hoping that good hygiene and sanitation practices were being observed by the kitchen staff.

Flu season is upon us once again. I got my seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago. Since then the vaccine has been in short supply and flu clinics in Winnebago County have been suspended. I am faithful in getting a shot because the last time I had a diagnosed case of influenza I was very sick. I didn’t recover quickly or without complications. I would like to avoid having that happen again.


The H1N1 swine flu virus is now widespread throughout most of the United States including Illinois. Many of us are not included in a high risk category, so we will not be receiving H1N1 vaccinations anytime soon. Since I come in contact with so many people during the course of a week, I am trying to be diligent in hand washing and avoiding people who are obviously contagious. I try to sneeze and cough into my elbow, although I think I may have pinched a nerve in my neck doing that. Please forgive me if I sneeze into a Kleenex.

The church has a role to play during this pandemic flu season. Part of it is educational. In many congregational newsletters I see good advice being shared by the parish nurses. They say, “If you’re sick, stay home.”

The church has a practical role to play as well. In most places, pastors and communion servers either wash or sanitize their hands before handling the elements. I have noticed that some congregations have placed hand sanitizer in the pews for people to use following the passing of the peace and before Holy Communion. I heard of one congregation in which the ushers dispense a squirt of hand sanitizer to everyone as they exit the pew.

I have not heard of any congregation dropping the passing of the peace from the liturgy. Some congregations are sharing the peace without the customary handshake. I’m not sure that an elbow bump is the way to go, but I have heard it suggested!

Serving communion by intinction is not all that sanitary. You might be surprised to know how many fingers actually end up in the wine. Common cup is not too bad since mouths tend to be less germy than hands. The wine has some antiseptic qualities (grape juice and non-alcoholic wine do not), but it would be best for those who are sick to either not receive the cup or to commune by intinction (without the finger dipping). There is nothing wrong with washing up those little communion cups we all used to use, preferably pouring the wine from a single chalice.

This is a time for common sense to prevail. Great resources are available from the ELCA (http://tinyurl.com/dfu3s2) and from the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://flu.gov/professional/community/. There you will find “H1N1 Flu: A Guide for Community & Faith-based Organizations.”

Comments? Ideas? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. Thanks for reading! --JC

1 comment:

  1. For the past several years, Bethesda in Morrison has actually suspended the official shaking of hands or sharing of the peace. We offer the customary greeting, along with the response by the congregation, then continue with the offering without shaking hands. Pastor Bob does sanitize his hands before handling the elements, as do the assistants, and we do still have those shaking hands and embracing if they so choose as they greet one another upon arriving for worship on Sunday morning.

    A plentious supply of hand sanitizer bottles have been provided and are kept full throughout the year and are found all over the church including in the Narthex (lots of individuals use this as they both enter and leave the Sanctuary), in the kitchens, at the water fountains, and so on.

    Some do miss the handshaking, but most respect the decision due to increasing awareness and concern of sharing more than the peace with their neighbors. We usually resume shaking hands during sharing of the peace on Easter Sunday.

    Deb Stone
    Secretary & Member
    Bethesda Lutheran Church
    Morrison, IL

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!