Friday, December 18, 2009

"I Don't Read Blogs"

“With all due respect to Jeff and his blog, I don’t read blogs.”

These words were spoken by a pastor, a friend and colleague of mine, at a meeting of our synod’s interim pastors. I was not offended. I will happily admit that I do not spend much time reading blogs either. There are a couple out there that are of interest to me, but, truthfully, I find most of them to be a waste of time.

One of the greatest strengths of a blog is also its greatest weakness. In a blog, the author is free to write anything that he or she wants, true or untrue, kind or unkind, fact or fiction, solicitous or slanderous.

The purpose of this blog has been to raise issues in a non-controversial way. I hope some of what I have written has stimulated deeper thought and discussion. Of course, that means that I have steered clear of the hottest topics in the life of the church. As a synod staff member, I do not want my personal opinions to get in the way of working with individuals or congregations that think a different way than I. If asked, I always answer, distinguishing between what this church teaches and what is my opinion. Unfortunately, too many folks end discussions before they begin.

Much has been written about the state of our ELCA since the Churchwide Assembly in August. I have been disappointed, perhaps even horrified, by some of what I have read. I have seen opinion stated as fact and simply awful things said about leaders in the church.

The pastor who said, “I don’t read blogs” does not allow anyone else to think for him. He is happy to engage in dialogue, seeks out opportunities to learn from others, and engages in theological reflection. That sounds healthy to me.

If you choose to read blogs (and I hope that you will continue to read this one), do not accept everything at face value. Dig a little deeper to find if it states the truth. Do not be too quick to agree or disagree. Engage in some theological reflection and good old-fashioned conversation. We live in a world where we engage less and less in anything face-to-face. Your congregation is a place where that kind of discussion can and should take place.

Comments? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. --JC

2 comments:

  1. "I don't read blogs" is like "I don't read newspapers" 100 years ago. Yes, fine, in theory you can be well informed about national issues without reading the niche voices that blogs (and other new media) represent, but most people aren't - even, or perhaps especially, the ones who insist that they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please remember to provide your name and congregation when commenting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!