Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Importance of "My" Small Group

I was trying to find just a little time to complete my annual “Report to the Bishop.” Truth be told, I am a little bit compulsive about completing assignments and submitting reports on time. The due date was near. I didn’t need much time; the form is not long or complicated.

Each rostered leader (pastor, associate in ministry, diaconal minister, deaconess) of the ELCA is required to submit an annual report to his or her synodical bishop. In our synod, the bishop personally reads each report. The information in the report is taken seriously and receives whatever pastoral attention is needed.

I wanted to get my report done, so I finally just closed my office door, sat down at the computer, and got to work. For rostered leaders under call from a synod council, the first question is, “What is the name and location of the congregation of which you are a member?” That was easy enough. Next, “In what congregational ministries and activities did you participate last year?” I didn’t exactly fill the box with my answer. If it weren’t for the small group Bible study that I am a part of, I would be largely disconnected from the congregation.

I do worship there when I am able. I try to get to congregational meetings. We faithfully mail our offerings. But, these do not provide opportunities to develop deeper relationships within a congregation. Small groups do.

Tuesday mornings at 7:00 a.m., I gather with eight others around a restaurant table for conversation, prayer, breakfast and Bible study, in approximately that order. In the years that I’ve been participating, our group has added and lost members along the way. These folks have become my friends. They will pray for me when I need it and I pray for them. Through them, I feel a real part of the life and ministry of the congregation to which I belong. With them, I seek new ways to be a disciple.

Some small groups arise spontaneously within congregations. Others organize around a common interest or need. My Bible study group was organized as one of many within the congregation doing a common book or Bible study.

I have encouraged parishioners to join small groups. I have now had the experience of being part of one myself. I believe they an important part of a congregation’s ministry and a great way to assimilate newcomers.

Care to comment? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com or comment on Facebook. --JC

2 comments:

  1. Judy Lindstrom commented on Facebook: I responded and had trouble, too?! Our small group shares so many joys and sorrows, lots of laughter and tears! All in all we wouldn't miss our Friday mornings together for coffee, the Word, and the wonderful community of believers we share! We learn so much about the Scriptures, Luther's Small Cathechism when we give our own insights and personal beliefs. Everyone should join a small group when given the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the many other things we do in congregational life, doesn't a small group add to the list? A small group meeting either in the early morning or evening during the week would mean interfering with my morning swim or add one more night to try and get out of work on time and miss a home meal.

    However, I have been part of a small group and it is nurturing. With Bible or book study and the fellowship of others, it promotes growth and encouragement.

    If we are busy then I think we absolutely need the repose and fellowship of a small group; like the book by Bill Hybels: Too Busy Not to Pray. We need to make the time for a small group. It would be part of our spiritual health, making us stronger disciples.

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!