Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thank You


A few drops of rain were falling as I hastily made my way up the walk of Wethersfield School in Kewanee.  In contrast to the weather, I was cheerfully greeted by Russ, the former president of the congregation, as he approached from another direction.  The mood inside Moss Gymnasium was likewise upbeat and positive.  Energy filled the gym as many were busy making last minutes preparations for worship.

The last time I was with the people of Zion Lutheran Church was the day after the fire that had done major damage to their building.  That evening, with the congregation gathered in a circle on the church lawn, I promised the prayers of the synod in the face of uncertain days.

It was great to return and be with the people of Zion on Sunday, December 9.  The school gym was alive with worship—prayer, Scripture, preaching and song.  It reminded me of the energy of a mission congregation.  Santa Lucia even made her appearance on cue!

On behalf of our bishop and the synod, I was able to present a modest check to the congregation.  It is because of your generosity that this gift was possible.  Following the service, a number of people spoke to me.  The treasurer of the congregation thanked me for bringing the check.  I want to pass that thanks along to you.

I suppose I was a bit surprised when almost everyone else who spoke to me thanked me for just being there and for all of the prayers.  I want to thank you all for that too.  Your willingness to care about your sister congregations is what helps make this a fine synod.

I think it would be great if every congregation prayed for the other congregations in their conference on a rotating basis.  Many already do.  I also think it would be beneficial if each congregation would send visitors to other congregations just to say “hello.”

Comments?  Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com or comment on Facebook.  --JC










No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!