Friday, September 27, 2013

Guest Blogger: Deaconess Cheryl Erdmann

The Road

After I came home from the incredible Professional Leader’s Conference, I, true to what I had learned about Digital Pluralism, sat down at my computer to sync my Digital Devices with my computer.  There were pictures taken since the last “sync,” some podcasts and new apps, some new downloaded books – all things that I am told by my children I should periodically sync to my computer, or, preferably they tell me, to the “Cloud” (is that where Jesus or St. Michael are sitting?), so my precious, and not so precious, stuff can be maintained for eternity. Whatever…

As I read my options and decided to download my recent pictures to my computer, the first new ones were pictures that I had taken while walking in a Forest Preserve District park near my home. I often take pictures when I walk, as I have a hobby of drawing nature scenes as a tool of my spiritual practice. Over a year ago, I attended a contemplative art retreat at Ghost Ranch in Abiqiu, New Mexico. I’ve found drawing to be a meaningful way to connect to God since that time.

Back to the photos.  I had taken a couple of pictures as I was walking, of a road that curved so I could not see what would be coming in just a few minutes. I had taken that picture, because the view seemed to be a metaphor for me of what was going on in my life – I was on the “road,” but didn’t know what was coming.

About a week later, I learned that an Assistant to the Bishop position would be opening up with the just-announced retirement of Sandra Musch. I let Bishop Wollersheim know that I would be willing to be considered for that position. After interviewing with the Bishop, I met with Synod Council and was extended the call, which I joyfully accepted.  Wow. Talk about not seeing what might be around that curve in the road.

What was especially interesting to me was that the two pictures that I took of that stretch of the walking trail at Busse Woods Preserve were followed by pictures that my friend Sarah Wilson had taken on my phone during the portion of the Tuesday PLC worship service where I was privileged to promise to serve Christ Jesus in that position as Assistant to Bishop Wollersheim.  Although when I took those two pictures of the road, I really had no idea of what was beyond my sight. And it seemed to me more than coincidental that the photos that followed the trail pictures showed not only what was around that curve, but also how God was both walking with me that day and waiting around the curve.  God can do that, be with me in God’s Kairos time, in two places at once.

I have to draw that scene now. It’s just too good a story to not make it my own in that way. And I tend to take my drawings and make them into note cards, to send to others as a visual reminder of some part of God’s incredible action in my life. It’s one way I tell the story of God’s incredible love for me and for all God’s people. It is how I can let others know how Jesus the Christ has been especially visible to me at times of joy and sorrow. It is how I can show that the Holy Spirit touches me and fills me, guides and helps me to live out the incredible promise made in my baptism: that I would receive new life in that baptism and be an inheritor of God’s glorious kingdom.

Wow, again.

Lord God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us the faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Deaconess Cheryl's installation

Comments are welcome at the blog site or on Facebook.            

3 comments:

  1. Wow is right! I would love to see your drawing when you finish it! Blessings to you as you begin this new area of ministry! Raye Stone, First Lutheran, Rockford, IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks be to God Cheryl! What a wonderful opportunity for you. We are all so very happy for you and your new adventure. The Falks are thinking of you often and we miss you very much. Peace and much love to you...the Emma, Anne, Raven, JC and John Falk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! -Emma Falk, of Bethany. :)

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!