Friday, November 14, 2008

From the Mailbox

The letter arrived in today’s mail. It began, “This is a very difficult letter to write….” I knew what it was right away. I have written three such letters myself, one to each congregation I was leaving. But this time I was on the receiving end of the news. My pastor has resigned his call.

I believe my pastor when he says that it was a difficult message to deliver. I don’t think most parishioners can possibly understand just how difficult it really is. It is so hard to leave a congregation that you have served and loved. As a pastor I have been invited into people’s lives in such intimate ways, in times of the greatest joy and the deepest sorrow. My life as a pastor has been richly blessed and I hope that I have touched the lives of many in positive ways with the love of Christ. When I left my first parish I remember telling Bishop Ehme Osterbur that I was never leaving another congregation because I couldn’t stand the pain. There were just too many tears. I did, however, subject myself to the pain of leaving two additional congregations only because I was convinced that God was calling me to serve in other contexts.

Today I experienced the pain from a different point of view. I was the parishioner receiving the pastor’s message. I don’t think most pastors can possibly understand just how difficult it is for happy parishioners to hear the news of their imminent departure.

The kind and pastorally written letter conveys the pastor’s thanks for the love, prayers and support of his congregation. My pastor has received a call, which he understands to be God’s call, to serve in a new context. I know I must respect that call, just as I have asked parishioners to do for me.

As a colleague, I am very excited for my pastor’s new call. I am, in fact, pleased for the whole church. As a parishioner, there is something about this that just plain stinks. As a synod staff person, I must hear the advice that I have given to so many congregations. Stay calm. God is good. God is with us. The Holy Spirit will bring us a new pastor. We will be just fine.

I would love to know of your experiences of either writing or receiving resignation letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!