Friday, November 7, 2008

I Love a Parade

On Reformation Sunday afternoon, the Northern Illinois Synod gathered in worship at Zion Lutheran Church in Rockford. We celebrated the ordination of three new pastors. It was a great day! Approximately 380 people were in attendance including parishioners from across the synod. About 50 rostered leaders were also present, each and every one there in a gesture of support. Many vested and processed while others sat in the congregation. It was a colorful parade indeed! I even spotted a couple of pastors seated in the balcony with their respective confirmation classes. What a good way to teach youth something about the broader church of which they are a part.

Since the birth of our synod, a high value has been placed upon celebrating ordinations, commissionings and consecrations at the synod assembly or in another synod-wide worship service. This practice is not part of the tradition I come out of, but I have come to deeply appreciate it. It emphasizes that ordination is a rite of the church and that pastors, associates in ministry and diaconal ministers are called to service in the whole church.

Following each of our synod services I hear similar positive comments from those who have never witnessed an ordination, commissioning or consecration. In fact, some find the experience overwhelming with meaning. I am sure that most (all?) rostered leaders cannot help but remember our own vows. I find myself renewed in my call each time I hear the scripture passages read and the questions asked. Ordination sermons always speak to me.

I don’t have a good sense of how many other synods share this same value. I think we are in a small minority. If so, I that’s just fine with me.

Comments? Ordination/commissioning/consecration stories? What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I was ordained at the 2008 NIS Assembly. I can think of no better way to begin ministry. It is a living witness to the ecclesiology of this church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, who could those pastors be that brought confirmation students? Didn't they bring the confirmation mentors too? They must be one cool clergy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw those cool pastors up there, and I thought it was a really great idea to bring confirmation kids to the ordination. What a way to encourage young people to consider rostered ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, did I miss something! I'm from Emmanuel, and my teenage son has now expressed interest in the ministry. It would have been great for him to participate in the worship...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julaine: The synod office depends a lot on pastors and church office secretaries, as well as the synod website and synod publications to get the word out about synod events. I'm sorry you missed this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!