Sunday, January 18, 2009

Asking for Help

I was at home with a nasty cold. My wife had gone outside to get the newspaper for me and she fell on the ice in our driveway. She had not hurt herself, but she warned me not go out while she was gone. I thought it could not possibly be as bad as she said it was, so after I heard the car leave, I went out to retrieve my paper.

So as not to embarrass myself any more than necessary, I will simply tell you that I went down very hard. I landed on my rear end with my arms braced behind me. You should know that our ELCA NurseLine was very helpful. X-rays taken the next day confirmed that I had two bruised wrists and a compression fracture in my left elbow. On the doctor’s pain chart I rated myself an 8.5—a really unhappy face.

For the past two weeks I have been coping with limited use of my left arm. I am not wearing a sling. My doctor said it would ease pain but not help with the healing. I have not been able to do many things that I simply take for granted. Sandy had to tie a shoe for me in the office. June had to open a bottle of tea. Buttoning a button was impossible for the first week. (I wore sweatshirts to the office.) It has all been rather humbling.

Perhaps the hardest thing to do was to walk across the street and ask my neighbor if he would plow out my driveway. I do not know why asking for help is so hard. Perhaps it is pride. Maybe it’s embarrassment. It is hard to admit that there is something that I cannot do that I feel I should be able to do. Do you know the feeling? I have not needed help tying my shoes for at least 48 years!

My neighbor was happy to help. He has plowed us out twice and his son shoveled out the walk to the front door. I may need his help again. The doctor said that I should expect the arm to take about eight weeks to heal completely.

Congregations sometimes have a hard time asking for help. The ELCA and the synod have resources to help in many areas of ministry. Great ideas can be found in other congregations as well. Many of those ideas are shared at our annual Congregational Resourcing Event. Individuals and congregations share their passions and expertise in the workshops that are offered. Attending the CRE is a great way to find help without even having to ask for it.

This year’s CRE will be Saturday, March 7 at Kishwaukee College in Malta. More information is available on the synod’s website and in your congregation. My personal opinion is that CRE is the best event the synod offers during the course of the year. Please consider participating. You will not be disappointed.

To comment go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    First off - you were up WAY too early this morning writing this! Was the sore elbow keeping you up?
    2nd - I want to add my kudos to the ELCA Nurse Line. As a mom of 3 kids, I have been very blessed by that nurse line in the middle of the night. They have helped me make those horrible decisions as to whether it's time to go to the emergency room or whether it can wait til morning. They can even hear the child's cough over the phone to help them make their decision.
    3rd - I can't agree more about the CRE! What an outstanding event. I'm home working on CRE stuff today, and before the end of the day, the schedule and all the workshops should be online at www.nisynod.org/cre. I hope your readers go there and check out all the wonderful presenters we have lined up. I think there are lots of folks that have found this annual wealth of information - now we just need to get them to invite their friends! It's not just for "church leaders" - it's for everyone. Hope to see you there!
    Karin Graddy, NIS Communication Director

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the actual time that I post a new entry at the blog site, which is also where you would be reading this comment. Apparently email messages informing subscribers that there is a new blog post are sent in the middle of the night! --JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    So sorry to hear of your injury. Although it be a humbling experience, what comfort and peace of mind you have found in the support system all around you. We often forget how blessed we are by the little things - the things that are always and forever taken for granted. I truly believe these things happen from time to time in order for us to keep a bit more grounded, even if we don't think we really need it. But in the future, maybe it would be a good idea to heed the advice of your lovely wife. (ha!) I'll be praying for your full and speedy recovery.

    Peace and blessings,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!