Friday, January 9, 2009

Reading List

Each time she sees me, without fail, a certain pastor of our synod asks, “What are you reading?” I know she is an avid reader, interested in many different kinds of books, and she is always looking for a recommendation.

In addition to my Bible, I have bookmarks in two or three books at any given time. I tend to read in spurts. Several days may pass before I can get back to a book that I’ve started. I tend to read practical theology and murder mysteries. I am also part of a book study group at church, so that’s another book I have going.

If I ran into the pastor today I would tell her that I just finished The Shack by William Paul Young. I found this to be a rather remarkable book on many levels and worthy of some deep discussion. I am also reading The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why by Phyllis Tickle.

I am currently preparing for my sabbatical, which begins later this month. I have a number of things I would like to do during that time, including some concentrated reading about the Holy Land and worship. Finding books won’t be a problem. I have stacks of them!

As we begin this new year, I am curious. What are you reading? Would you like to share some titles and thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. "The Shack" was a great book - Eugene Peterson said it could become the "Pilgrim's Progress" of this generation. I references it in a sermon back in November and was recently told by a member who visited another church (non-Lutheran) that it was banned from the pulpit as heretical.

    One of the books I am currently reading is "Jesus wants to save Christians - a manifesto for a church in exile" by Rob Bell and Don Golden. The book follows the narrative of the Bible and weaves what has been termed today's "New Exodus" perspective with the Biblical narrative. Lots of endnote references which gets a bit distracting as I do stop to look at those as I read, but a wonderful way think about the Biblical narrative and the narrative of our world today. It would be great for a discussion group.

    I've got Phyllis Tickle's "Great Emergence" on my want to read books - what did you think of it?? I listed to her on a podcast from Mars Hill Church speaking about it and it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tickle book is outstanding, I read it a couple of months ago: "Every 500 years the church cleans out its attic and has a giant rummage sale..." Wow! are we into that...

    I've picked up "The Shaadow of Sirius" a poetry book by W.S. Merwin. You may know him as the author of "The Anniversary of My Death" as read by Garrison K. of PHC. Very inspiring!

    And now I am 70 pages into "The Existential Jesus" by John Carroll written in 2008 - he is a sociologist and writes a very unique and in-depth piece on the Jesus of Mark - very insightful.

    I',m looking forward to reading "The History of Doubt" by Hecht in a few weeks. The NPR radio program - 'Speaking of Faith' has great interviews and suggestions. Last June I finished Krista Tippett's book by the same name...outstanding.

    Peace in the New Year,

    Kenn Storck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before your trip to the Holy Land, try to read a bit of Patriarch Elias Chacour. Blood Brothers
    is my current read.

    Marlene Park, Grace Loves Park

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!