Friday, February 20, 2009

Reflections on a Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage: 1. A journey to a sacred place or shrine. 2. Any long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.

When we first discussed planning a trip to the Holy Land we used pilgrim language. In fact, travelers from our synod have made a number of pilgrimage trips in recent years. We have had folks go to Germany to see the Luther sights and the Mediterranean to walk in Paul’s footsteps. We have had others go to visit in our companion synods in Tanzania and India. In 2010 a trip is being planned for Oberammergau and Italy.

Our trip to the Holy Land certainly qualified as a journey to a sacred place. While we cannot be sure that we stood in the actual historical location of many of Jesus’ life events, we were close. We were in the same cities; Jerusalem, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Capernaum. We sailed in the same waters of the Sea of Galilee. We sprinkled ourselves with the same waters of the Jordan River. We were surrounded by thousands of years of religious history and the holiest of sites for Christians, Muslims and Jews. The history lesson was incredible.

For me, the geography lesson was even more important. It helped me in my understanding of the Bible to see just how far it is from Jerusalem to the Mount of Olives. It was good to walk the Via Dolorosa and the Palm Sunday road. It was helpful to see how far Bethany and Bethlehem are from Jerusalem. I now know what the Biblical wilderness looks like. I will read the gospels with new clarity.

My faith has never been directly connected to a place. I did not have a burning need to see the Holy Land. My faith is no stronger today than it was last month. I do not believe that a Christian must make such a trip to be complete. But I would recommend that you go if you are able. Our trip was most valuable to me because it was also a long journey of moral significance.

Our itinerary included more than just sightseeing. We took the time to talk with people. It was amazing to sit and listen to the Rev. Dr. Mitri Raheb, pastor of Christmas Lutheran Church and director of the International Center of Bethlehem. It was fascinating to see how a very small minority community (Christian) can make a big impact. It was informative and heart-rending to speak with Pastor Raheb’s staff. It was so good to tour the Lutheran school and hear the principal tell of how the values of peace and tolerance are being taught.

The challenge I face now is to answer the “So what?” question. What difference is this trip going to make in my life and in the life of others? Are there ways in which I can work for peace and justice, especially in the lives of some I have met? --JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!