Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Presider's Chair

You may find it odd that I remember this; after all, it was a long time ago. I got just one word wrong on my liturgy vocabulary quiz in seminary. In fact, I thought it was almost inexcusable to get any wrong since it was a take-home assignment. Try as I might, however, I did not find the liturgical definition for one word.

I have taught a generation of confirmation students that there are special “church words” for lots of things. Where else do you hear words such as narthex, nave, alb, cincture, paten and flagon?

The word I got wrong (and I was by no means the only one in our class who got this wrong) was president. I had trouble figuring it out because I had never heard the word used in a liturgical context. The answer was simple. The president is one who presides. In worship, the one who presides is the presiding minister. I think it was a trick question.

In recent years I have noted two contrasting things happening simultaneously. As the roles of the presiding and assisting ministers in Holy Communion have become better defined in LBW and ELW, a number of worship leaders have apparently abdicated their roles as leaders.

I was recently the guest preacher in a congregation outside of our synod. I asked the pastor where he wanted me to sit during worship. “Oh, just sit wherever you want. You can go sit with your wife.” So, I sat in about the fourth pew where my wife was seated. The other pastors sat in different sections. As the worship began I wondered who was in charge.

I understand a pastor’s desire to be part of the congregation. I understand the need to be a worshiper in the assembly. However, I think we too easily diminish the role to which the congregation has called the pastor. I have been left wondering if we (both lay and clergy leaders) are afraid to lead, even in worship.

My personal bias is that worship leaders should be visible and giving direction to the Sunday assembly. The presiding minister (an ordained pastor), assisting minister (a lay person), and the lector should be visible. Communion assistants and acolytes might also have prominent positions. To me, that means using those chairs, sometimes referred to derogatorily as thrones, in the chancel area.

I have found that in some contemporary worship settings, the song leader has a much more prominent role and visible position in the worship than does the presiding minister. Traditional church architecture left little to the imagination. One could tell what was important in worship. Altar, pulpit and font (Word and sacraments) were emphasized. In one church I visited during my sabbatical the most prominent feature in front was a drum set. I had to search to even find a cross. I could immediately identify the song leader, but I did not have a clue as to who the pastor might be. I also could not identify anyone else who might be involved in the morning’s worship.

I am advocating clear leadership roles for all who are involved in leading worship. I encourage you to share your thoughts. Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. Click on comments at the end of this entry. Let’s hear your thoughts! --JC

5 comments:

  1. Rev. Robert A. FranekMay 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM

    Thank you, Pastor Jeff, for raising this critical and timely issue. As a worship leader, I take very seriously the leadership necessary to lead people in worship. This is not only in what happens during the service, but also in preparation for it. When I am not serving in a primary leadership role in worship, I expect those who are to take their leadership seriously and lead. I expect to be able to see them from the primary places of leadership: the font, the ambo, the table, and yes the chair. Much of the service is to be lead from the chair, though sadly many worship spaces for an assorted array of reasons do not make this possible. (Any discussion of worship space remolding and design should seriously consider the placement of the seating for the presiding and assisting ministers). However, when it is possible, the gathering rite (greeting through prayer of the day) can be done entirely from the chairs of the presiding and assisting ministers. Also the Creed and intercessory prayers are also most properly lead from the chairs of the presiding and assisting minister. The three other liturgical centers: font, ambo, table, are best served when reserved for rites that relate to that center. One does not stand at the place of the word for example to lead the Great Thanksgiving.

    When the presiding and assisting ministers lead the assembly in worship from their respective chairs that are visible to the people gathered many cues can be given non-verbally. The assembly can be invited to stand and sit by simply watching the assisting minister (or the presiding minister if there is no assisting minister), and thus eliminating the need for constant verbal instructions. More, the other liturgical centers are enhanced by being reserved for rites that are appropriate to each center.

    Taking leadership in worship seriously and not abdicating it is one of the most hospitable offerings the presiding and assisting ministers can offer those whom the Spirit of God has gathered to worship.

    Some things may, however, also be done well from the assembly. On festival occasions or other times time when the lectionary or local context lends itself to so doing consider a Gospel procession into the midst of the assembly to proclaim the good news and/or leading the intercessions, the prayers of the people, from the center of the gathered assembly.

    Liturgical leadership is finally doxological. Leading the assembly in right praise of the holy triune God is the call of the presiding and assisting ministers. With confidence and humility, if you are able and have not done so, consider taking your place in the chair that has been reserved for you, the next time you are the presiding or assisting minister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of the assisting ministers here, I agree wholeheartedly! At First, Rock Island, you will see the presiding minister and assisting minister sitting on the 2 "thrones" at the front of the church. You will also see the acolytes, who assist with communion as well, sitting in the front pew. Thanks for the affirmation of what we are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read Pastor Clement's blog I thought of how in society today the role of the parent has often become the role of a friend to their children. Thus the children do not respect their parents and may become unruly. I truly hope that congregations do not lose respect for their leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rev. Dr. Arthur Bergren, First Lutheran Church, Geneseo, IllinoisJune 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM

    Thank you, Pr. Jeff, for sharing your thoughts, concerns and reflections. It is good to hear from our synod staff.

    I agree with the notion of fear of leading. We continue to live in times where instituional authority is declining and collasping. From our colleagues, I sense a fear that our actions could further that decline. The end result is a pattern of leadership based not on mission but on terror of further decline. This is no way to be the Church of Christ.

    As it relates to worship leadership, I agree that the worship leader should be visible, warm and gracious in their presiding. But I believe there is no one way for that to occur. It may be sitting in a presider's chair or in the first pew. While I do not adovcate you can hang out in your office during worship, I believe this is a matter of adiaphora. We have freedom in such matters, which is an essential part of our Lutheran identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jeff, and greetings to all my friends in my former synod.

    I found your comments about clergy chairs (aka clergy stalls and sedillia) fascinating, as their lack of usage today often indicates a "false humility" on the part of clergy.

    I am aware that at least two other factors are related to "location" of clergy during worship: The size of the gathering (whether 10 or 1000) and the type of service.

    Those who participate in "moving worship" such as Stations of the Cross move to the various "stations". I have experienced in an Episcopal Church the Great Litany being prayed with the presider kneeling at a simple kneeler (prie dieu) in the center aisle of the congregation.

    And, of course, a gospel procession is into the midst of the people (who are to take the gospel into the midst of the world).

    However, the clergy normally being seated in the midst of the congregation is like going to a football game and the quarterback decides to sit in the bleachers.

    There is another factor we clergy forget. When we are in the chancel, we tend to think we are "far from the people." When we get at the people's floor level, the people (especially in the rear pews) often complain that they "cannot see us."

    For some of us, one of the current problems is the antagonism to the wonderful symbolism of the ambo (pulpit or lectern or reading desk), the altar table, and the font / pool.

    We forget the magnificent understanding of the CHAIR -- I have heard preaching from a CHAIR, when I visited another congregation on internship. Many of us have helped to "ENDOW A CHAIR" at a seminary or university.

    A comment about the word "adiaphora." Most ideas or actions deemed "adiaphora" are actually VERY IMPORTANT.

    "Adiaphora" simply means ONE understanding or ONE action or ONE solution CANNOT be absolutized. However, we usually have to make a decision, even about adiaphora.

    It is "adiaphora" whether a mission congregation builds a wooden building or a brick building, but the congregation has to make a decision in order to get a building.

    As someone who supervised 18 interns, I often asked myself (and the interns), "Why are you going to seminary if you cannot stand to express leadership and be in front of people during worship?"

    Thanks, Jeff, for the opportunity to share these comments. Here, I send preaching and worship comments to the Middle Tennessee Conference pastors. I am finishing a four part series on the BREAD OF LIFE SUNDAYS: eucharistic themes, preaching ideas, church decor, and hymn usage.

    Peace and Joy,
    John Lekander

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!