Monday, May 4, 2009

Technological Advances

A recent edition of The Christian Century (“Congregational Snapshot,” by Mark Chaves, April 7, 2009) pointed out what may be obvious to most of us. In the past few years there have been a lot of changes in the church. While we know that, we may not have taken the time to consider what the trends are.

The author, a seminary teacher and researcher, says, “Four trends stand out: congregations now use more computer technology, worship is more informal, clergy are older and, perhaps most important, congregations are more ethnically diverse.”

I was especially interested in congregations’ use of technology as I visited a number of different congregations during the latter half of my sabbatical. To prepare for a visit I first visited the congregation’s Web site. I was disappointed if I found that a congregation does not have one. I was even more disappointed to find a Web site that was months out of date. A Web site can be a great communication tool. It puts a lot of information at the fingertips. I appreciated finding service times, worship service descriptions, staff information and directions to find the church. I also liked finding newsletters and bulletins. Through the Web site I gained a familiarity with the congregation and found that I was entering the doors with greater confidence than if I was coming in cold.

If your congregation does not have a Web site, what would it take for you to get one up and running? If your congregation does have one, is it up-to-date? Is the information accurate? Does it introduce your congregation well? Does it have links to sermons?

Email can be a great communication tool too. I receive weekly announcements from my congregation. A large portion of any congregation can be reached quickly by email. On the other hand, there is a danger with email too. In the synod office we often see conflict in a congregation escalate quickly through the use of email. People share angry words in email that they would rarely use in a face-to-face conversation.

How can email be used effectively in your congregation?

The use of projection equipment in worship also falls into the technology category. Some congregations project the day’s announcements on the screen before worship. Others will show a video clip that relate to the lessons for the day. I have seen video clips used effectively as part of the sermon. Sometimes a single image will be projected throughout the worship to help illustrate the theme of the day. I am personally not too keen on projecting hymns, songs or liturgies. When the computer operator fails to keep up with a song, or there is a computer failure, the congregation is left silent as the band (or organ) plays on.

Another issue exists with the size and location of screens. Sometimes it is difficult, if not impossible, to retrofit a sanctuary to accommodate adequate projection screens, but we have some great examples of successful installations in the synod. Newer buildings (such as Alleluia!, Naperville, which is pictured) have screens that are built-in. Personally, I like the judicious use of projected images and video, but I do not miss it if it is not there.

I just wish every congregation could figure out how to get their microphones to work!

Care to comment or share your thoughts? Go to http://niselcablogspot.com/.

1 comment:

  1. A couple other links on the topic:

    http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1895463,00.html?iid=tsmodule

    and

    http://www.cartoonbank.com/item/128203

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!