Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Family Reunion

This year’s synod assembly is now history. The “Gone Fishing” sign has been posted on the bishop’s desk. Sandy and I are tired, but recovering. I had a great day off on Monday, which helped. Our support staff seems to be recovering too. I cannot begin to tell you how busy the assembly was for Nancy, June, Julie and Judi. They did a great job of taking care of everyone’s needs while we were in Rock Island.

We took a first look at the assembly evaluations on Tuesday and we were pleased to see that for most people the assembly was a great experience. It looks like all the planning paid off. We also received important feedback that will allow us to make improvements for next year.

For me, this assembly felt something like a family reunion. I have served my entire career on what is now the territory of the Northern Illinois Synod. That means I have gotten to know a lot of people along the way. In my current call, I am fortunate to meet new people on a regular basis. I know this cannot be true for everyone, but the assembly had a familiar, family-like quality to it for me. I got to catch up with family members I had not seen for a while. We were able to work together, worship together, laugh together, struggle together, talk together, eat together, study together, sing and pray together.

My brother commented on how curious it is to be able to have such deep philosophical differences with people he likes and counts as friends.

When the assembly was concluded and Bishop Wollersheim sent us all out, I was left with an overwhelming sense of pride (hopefully not to the point of sinfulness!) in our synod. Not every synod is able to discuss as calmly as we do. The synod did not let me down in my belief that this year’s assembly would be much like all of our previous assemblies. We were respectful of each other and treated each other as brothers and sisters.

We are not all of one mind. We would not even want to be. But, we all do have one common mission. As Bishop Mark Hanson reminded us, “Marked by the cross of Christ forever, we are claimed, gathered, and sent for the sake of the world.” I am filled with joy as I walk with you in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!