Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sunday Morning Twitter?

Our bishop will often ask people to introduce themselves to a group by stating their name, their congregation and then something personal. I always cringe when he asks for us to tell about a hobby. I have never been very good at hobbies.

When I completed my original mobility forms, prior to my first call, I had a list of hobbies from which to choose. I remember choosing two, so that must have been the minimum. I chose nature hiking and photography. I do have a great appreciation of the outdoors and have always enjoyed hiking. I vowed to buy some hiking shoes. I also love photography. When I submitted that form I promised myself that I would someday get a decent camera.

After fumbling a few times in those group introductions, I made a list of my interests, which may or may not qualify as hobbies. I was not going to be caught unprepared the next time the bishop asked. Bishop Wollersheim knows I do not like the question, so he does not seem to ask it as much anymore.

Something even the bishop may not know about me is that I love trains. I love riding trains and I love watching trains. In fact, if I can possibly make it work, on a Sunday afternoon on my way back to Rockford after preaching somewhere in the synod, I will buy a sandwich at Subway and then eat my lunch and watch trains go by at the Rochelle Railroad Park. The only way I can have a better time is if the Cubs are on the radio at the same time!

Yesterday, the managing editor of the Williston [North Dakota] Herald began his story with these words: “Despite no formal advanced notice, the historic steam locomotive Engine #4449, otherwise known as “The Daylight” was greeted Tuesday afternoon by a throng of spectators at the Williston Amtrak Depot.”

How I wish I could have been there! I have spent countless hours on that station platform watching passenger and freight trains pass by. Williston, North Dakota is where my wife’s parents lived. Had I been in town, I would have dropped everything to go see that steam engine.
Today’s instant communications allowed a “throng of spectators” to gather in Williston as the train crossed into North Dakota from Montana. Excited people made cell phone calls and no doubt sent instant messages, text messages, and twitters to spread the news.

I must admit to you that as exciting as it is for me to watch trains, it is more exciting for me to be in worship each and every Sunday. Last Sunday I could feel the adrenaline pumping as we sang our hymns. My heart was filled with joy as I distributed the Holy Communion elements. But I seriously doubt that anyone had messaged, texted or tweeted a friend saying, “I’m on my way to church and something exciting is about to happen.”

Why is that?

By the way, I still do not have a great camera, but I did take the picture above. I also want you to know that this train was moving at the time!

Thoughts? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/ and click on comments. --JC

2 comments:

  1. The very train you spoke of will be going through Rochelle and the southern part of DeKalb County on July 18. Check out the Daily Chronicle website (www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2009/07/02/18027059). I hope the blog will accept this link.
    Darlene - Salem, Sycamore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darlene! For you train enthusiasts, I heard from a friend in Moorhead, MN who said he had seen the train in Fargo. He offered this link: www.westbound4449.com.

    The Williston Herald column may be accessed at http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2009/07/08/news/doc4a54bcdd20a75971083404.txt

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!