Monday, July 27, 2009

As the Interns Pack their Bags

Traditionally, the third of four years of seminary is spent on internship. Our son has just completed his pastoral internship in a congregation in Nebraska. The congregation bid him and my daughter-in-law farewell yesterday in worship, during a cake and punch reception between the two worship services and with a potluck dinner at noon. There were hugs and tears, cards and well-wishes. It was all very nice.

Each year I have the opportunity to visit with an intern cluster here in Northern Illinois. Generally I speak to the pastoral interns about the call process so they will know more of what to expect as they prepare for their first call. I usually ask each one how their internship experience has been so far. I must say that we have had some extraordinarily gifted interns in the past few years. It is fun to see the energy and passion they bring to ministry.

I am not sure that all internship congregations fully appreciate just what an important service they render to the church at large. They serve as the training grounds, providing practical experience so critical to the success of a first call.

When I completed my internship year, I no doubt thanked the congregation from the pulpit and at the dinner they had in my honor. (It was actually a roast—I must have made quite the impression!) As part of their 50th anniversary this year, I was invited to return to my internship site to preach for the first time in 27 years. It was a joy for my wife and me to go back and say thanks again, this time fully comprehending what the internship experience has meant to my ministry.

I was also able to thank the pastor who had served as my supervisor. I have expressed my appreciation to him many times through the years, but there will never be a sufficient number of opportunities.

Today I wish to thank all of our Northern Illinois Synod congregations that serve as internship sites. Your patience and love provide a healthy environment for learning. I also thank the pastors who serve as supervisors. Your guidance and coaching is invaluable.

What is my message to the interns? Give thanks! Use what you have learned. Honor your congregation and supervisor by becoming faithful and tireless servants of the church of Jesus Christ.

Comments? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/. Click on comments at the end of the message. --JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!