Sunday, August 23, 2009

Farewell Minneapolis

I arose early this morning, packed my bags, and watched the sun rise above the impressive skyline of downtown Minneapolis. I checked out of the hotel and walked outdoors to the convention center, rather than use the skyways. It was a beautiful morning.

I enjoyed coffee with Ron and Carla Vanatta, and Robert Franek joined us before we walked to the worship space. The mood in worship was subdued, but lightened as we sang and prayed. For those who gathered, some of yesterday’s heaviness had lifted. The assembly was over. No remaining business items loomed over the Holy Communion. It was the Sabbath; truly a time to be spent with God.

As we left worship, I noted the long line of people waiting to have a word with Bishop Mark Hanson. I was not close enough to hear the words that were spoken to him. I am sure there were many words of gratitude and support. I am also sure that were others who wanted to share one more word of concern.

I bid farewell to some of our Northern Illinois Synod folks before taking a leisurely walk northeastward on Nicollet Mall. I stopped along the way to take some photos and say hello to the statue of Mary Tyler Moore. It was a time to allow the words of worship to sink in and for some of this week to drain out.

I met my son and we rode the light rail train from one terminus (downtown) to the other (Mall of America). I had received a free ticket to ride the train or a bus, but I never got it to work. I paid the $1.75 with a ten dollar bill and received a quarter and eight dollar coins in change. I suppose I will have to explain what they are to some people as I spend them along the way home. Today’s goal was to ride the train and not necessarily end up at the Mall of America. The only thing I bought there was lunch.

I jokingly told our voting members last night that my cell phone number would expire at noon today. It was about 4:15 p.m. when I received a call from one of our group, who was on the road to home, seeking advice on how to handle the reporter who was calling her home. Others of our group have also been contacted. We have also seen and heard that Bishop Wollersheim’s comments have been widely quoted.

I spent this evening with some of my oldest friends. It has been a challenging week for their family. Their concerns had nothing to do with anything related to my week, the Northern Illinois Synod, or the ELCA. Their concerns have everything to do with my prayer list, a list of people and petitions that are important to me.

While we have all been away this week, life has gone on in our parishes. New Christians have been baptized, the dead have been buried, the sick have been anointed, the homebound have been communed, the gospel has been preached. By this hour, most of our NIS voting members are safely home. Their challenge will be to integrate what they have seen, and heard, and done, into the life of their congregations and the synod. We will all be glad to be home.

As for me, I will travel tomorrow after a good night’s rest. God is with you. --JC

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jeff for all your blogging during the Churchwide Assembly. They were informative, insightful and fun. They helped those at home who were needing to feel connected to what was going on at the Assembly. You are a gift to our synod in many ways but this week in Minneapolis, I believe, it was clearly your helpful nature and positive spirit. Well done good and faithful servant! Polly Wollersheim

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!