Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday at the Assembly

It became apparent sometime this afternoon that the Churchwide Assembly could complete its business today. At approximately 6:30 p.m., Bishop Hanson declared that a plenary session would not be necessary tomorrow morning. All that is left for the assembly is to gather together for the closing Eucharist.

Today’s worship was held across the street from the convention center at Central Lutheran Church. I could not help but think that on my first Sunday in the Twin Cities, when I came here to go to seminary, I worshiped at Central. Four years later, my seminary commencement was also held in this space. It was good to be back. As we entered the massive church today, the 47 bells in Central’s new bell tower were ringing. What an incredible, joyful sound.

This evening, voting members and visitors from our synod joined together for something of a farewell dinner. Bishop Wollersheim hosted us at the pizza restaurant that we had hoped to visit earlier this week. We also had some guests with us including the Rev. Susan Johnson, the national bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. We were honored by her presence and the words she shared.

Everyone is glad that the assembly is over. It has been a tough week. But all of our voting members expressed appreciation for the opportunity to participate in the assembly. I hope that they will be thanked once they are home for their hard work and commitment to the church.

Just as Bishop Hanson asked the church to pray in preparation for the assembly, he is asking the church to pray now that it is over. I am pledging myself to this task. I love this church too much not to do so. --JC

2 comments:

  1. It was with great sadness that I watched the deliberations of the assembly. There was a time in my life when I would not have cared what happened to Christianity. Having come to the realization years ago, that the Bible is the inspired word of GOD as stated in the Lutheran Confession, it was a heavy blow when the assembly voted to ignore GOD and go with the culture. We are supposed to transform the culture, not be transformed by the culture. Everyone is welcome in church. I totally agree with that. We are all sinners. What I object to is someone who will stand in the pulpit and declare they,themselves are without sin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to all! I have chosen to publish the comment above even though it is entirely anonymous. There is no way for me to know if this comment is from within our synod or from the outside. It does, however, help us enter discussion, which is one of the goals of this blog. Please include your name and congregation when you comment.

    I am also wondering if one of our pastors actually preaches that he or she is without sin. That would be a new one on me. And, it would be quite incorrect! --JC

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!