Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Impressions, Part 2

Once in a while, though not often, I have an opportunity to be an anonymous visitor. That means worshiping in a non-ELCA congregation in northern Illinois or in an ELCA congregation in another synod. I am easily reminded of how intimidating it can be to walk into a church with which you are not familiar. Here are some of my thoughts.

Many congregations seem to have trouble keeping their websites up-to-date. It is really important for worship times and calendars to be current. When I drive to an unfamiliar location, I always look for a sign that is visible from the street. Even with a GPS unit, I have to find the right driveway. Information on that sign needs to be correct too. Road marker signs are great, but they do need to be replaced once in a while. An old, faded or damaged sign doesn’t project a good image.

I have visited congregations with traffic-flow issues. It helped me a lot at one very large congregation to have someone in the parking lot, wearing one of those neon-green vests, directing me to a parking place. I have often wondered if our congregations should offer valet parking. It seems that it would be much easier for some elderly members to enter the building if they were able to drop their car at the door. As a guest preacher, I always arrive early for worship and am sometimes the first person to park in the parking lot. If there are no lines on the lot, I really do not know how or where to park. Don’t forget the need for special places for those with physical handicaps.

I like greeters. I think they should be stationed right at the outside door. In fact, they should be stationed at every door that one might use to enter the building. Church buildings are sometimes like mazes. I could use a friendly welcome and directions as soon as I get in the door. Signage inside the building is important too. After I’ve traveled a distance, my first question is always regarding the location of the men’s room. Signs eliminate my need to ask a lot of questions. How do I find restrooms, nursery, worship space, offices, Sunday coffee, Sunday school rooms? I have been impressed by congregations that use bilingual signs.

In leading worship, I have always welcomed “newcomers and guests.” I think that sounds better than “visitors.” Have you ever noticed that you are always a “guest” at Target and never a “customer”? As a newcomer, I like to be welcomed but hate to be publicly embarrassed. The congregation I referred to last week did a great job. The first-time attendees were given a small gift and information about the congregation. They were not forced to stand up, introduce themselves, or wear a button. I was free to remain anonymous if I wished. My wife and I once attended a worship service in Michigan where a woman welcomed us and then offered to sit with us to guide us through the service. We appreciated the gesture, refused her offer since we could navigate an LBW liturgy, but realized it would have helped when it came time for Holy Communion.

Some worship services are more visitor friendly than others. I appreciate announcements with page numbers, pauses to allow people to find their places, and bulletins that don’t have six inserts. I like senior citizens serving as acolytes and children serving as communion assistants. I like lectors who have practiced reading the lessons. I don’t mind being taught a new song or practicing a part of the liturgy. I like communion instructions to be clearly stated in the bulletin. I like seeing the mission statement of the congregation either displayed or in the bulletin. I like bulletins that use as little paper as possible. I like announcements rolling on a projection screen, if there is one. After worship, I like decaf coffee to be offered with the regular and someone who is willing to talk with me. I think these elements make for a better Sunday morning experience.

Comments? Go to the blog site, http://niselca.blogspot.com/ or comment on Facebook. There is a nice hospitality assessment tool on the ELCA website at http://archive.elca.org/evangelizingchurch/assessments/hospitality.html. --JC

2 comments:

  1. NICE! But you already knew I'm a fan of good websites and clear communication in buildings and worship services! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Jeff - I always enjoy your blog entries but I have to say that your last two entries have been above and beyond. Thank you for your wise words and good advice. We could all use help in being hospitable to our guests. Thanks! Lisa Short

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!