Friday, September 3, 2010

First Impressions

I have a stack of books, actually a couple of stacks, waiting to be read. Some books, especially those in the leisure category, need to be dusted occasionally as they wait for my attention. A few days ago, my wife ran across a book that she did not recognize, so she added it to my pile of books.

The red cover caught my attention. So did the title. Jim & Casper Go to Church. I checked inside the front cover where I found the name of a pastoral colleague written. I am embarrassed to say that I do not remember when or where she loaned the book to me or the conversation that precipitated it. Just how long had this book been buried in my stuff?

The full title of the book is Jim & Casper Go to Church: Frank conversation about faith, churches, and well-meaning Christians, written by Jim Henderson and Matt Casper. Jim Henderson is a Christian with a Pentecostal background and Matt Casper is an atheist. Together they visit a number of Christian congregations and share their first impressions. It is a fun book to read and it helps to view the Sunday morning experience through the eyes of others.

This summer I had the opportunity to visit a Lutheran congregation in Chicago, to which I have no connections. I arrived early, having allowed ample time for my combination car, “L” train and bus trip. In the reception area, I asked for directions to the closest men’s room (it had been a long trip, efficient as it was). I was given the directions along with an invitation and further instructions on how to find the coffee fellowship.

I went to the fellowship area and found five people sitting at a round table. There was an empty chair so I asked the group if I could sit there, not having any particular desire to sit at one of the many empty tables. No one seemed to care much, one way or the other, so I sat. I listened. I remained silent through a few awkward periods of silence. I initiated conversation with open ended questions that all quickly died. Three people left, one fell asleep, and one joined the group. I was thankful when it was time for worship.

In worship, the congregation was friendly. When invited to share a greeting, those around me all offered a handshake and their first name. Later, the passing of the peace felt authentic. I did not identify myself as a visitor during the announcements because I did not know how to graciously refuse the coffee mug visitors were being given. (I was on my way to a baseball game and would never get the mug home safely).

I was surprised by two things in worship. The traditional worship service was done well, but it was not visitor friendly. This is a congregation that receives a fair number of newcomers and guests, so I would have expected more. This pastor, well-schooled in traditional worship, should not have had a tough time finding his place and keeping up when page numbers were not announced and instructions were not given.

I was also surprised by the temperature of the nave. It was a hot day and it was sticky hot inside the church. Literally. My shirt was stuck to the pew when I stood to go for communion. The church is not air conditioned and there are no windows to open. The heat made for a very uncomfortable worship experience. I hate to say that I believe air conditioning has become a necessity in many places.

What are the first impressions that your congregation make on newcomers?

To be continued…

2 comments:

  1. Excellent topic! Let's hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad made sure my two younger sisters and I visited different demoninational churches when we were young. He would take us to different churches in our neighborhood several times a year.

    I distinctly remember one in particular. It was the all black Baptist church across the street from our apartment in Indianapolis. I was nine years old. I was always a little scared to visit new churches. The minute we stepped foot in this building, however, I felt welcomed. Several people recognized that we were visitors (it wasn't hard since they were black and we were white. I had blazing red hair to top it!)and approached us to ask our names and how old we were.

    Their service was amazing! People were
    clapping, standing, saying "amen" in the middle of the sermon. Coming from a Missouri synod congregation, I was in awe to say the least. After the service, we were invited for donuts and fellowship. They made us feel very comfortable. I wanted to go back every Sunday!

    Do we welcome, with open arms those we recognize as visitors in our congregations?

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!