Thursday, August 18, 2011

Churchwide Assembly, August 18

At the end of business today, Bishop Wollersheim had a few words with our voting members. He said, “Today was an historic day for the church.” With all of today’s long business sessions and hours of sitting, it would have been easy to miss that fact. Here’s a recap.

I awoke this morning to the sound of something falling onto the floor of my hotel room. I thought it was odd but didn’t bother to look to see what it was. As my head cleared, I did get curious. It was my cell phone. I had set the alarm on my phone to wake me but I had left it in the “vibrate” mode. My phone had finally buzzed itself right off the table next to the bed. I guess it’s good that it hit the floor.

The first historic moment came when Sayyid Sayeed, the secretary general of the Islamic Society of America greeted the assembly. This is the first time a Muslim has addressed an ELCA assembly. He was gracious in his remarks and spoke of the importance of the work we can do together as a witness around the globe.

Another greeting came from Bishop George Walker Sr., Senior Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, one of the historic African American denominations. This was also a first.

History was also made when the Social Statement on Genetics was adopted by a vote of 942 to 34. Before getting here I was not sure if the assembly would be in a mood to adopt this social statement. As I listened, it became evident that the voting members of this assembly felt this was important work. Geneticists and other scientists, farmers and pastors, all voting members from their synods, spoke in favor of the statement. Pictured above is Pastor Vicki Sauter as she spoke to the assembly.

Today’s worship concluded with an anointing for service. The sign of the cross was made with oil on the palms of our hands with the words, “May you be blessed, and may you be a blessing.” I’ve seen this done in congregations and I think it is a great idea. The presiding minister for the service was the Rev. Susan Johnson, national bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. Bishop Johnson has been a friend of the Northern Illinois Synod for quite some time, so it was nice to see her again.

A budget was adopted for 2012 and 2013. Constitutional amendments were approved, one of which requires a congregation that has taken an unsuccessful first vote to leave the ELCA to wait six months before taking another vote. From our experience in Northern Illinois, this will be a healthy change that will benefit a congregation no matter what its final decision is.

The Churchwide Assembly will close tomorrow with a final business session followed by worship and then the exodus from Orlando will begin. Now, I need to pack my suitcase and see if I can squeeze everything I brought back in!

Be sure to check http://www.elca.org/ for a summary of all assembly actions. Comments? Go to the blog site: http://niselca.blogspot.com/ or comment on Facebook. --JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!