Friday, August 19, 2011

Churchwide Assembly, August 19


Nicole Bilips addresses the assembly
 A short report to conclude my experiences at this assembly.

The Churchwide Assembly ended today with Bishop Hanson thanking the assembly for its good work. The assembly reciprocated by thanking Bishop Hanson for his leadership with a standing ovation. Secretary David Swartling announced that the 2013 Churchwide Assembly will be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which will be the first assembly held in Region 8 of the ELCA.

In case you’re wondering, as of this morning, 180 pledges had been received for the ELCA Malaria Campaign representing gifts of $165,100. While this is a very good start, I had really hoped to see at least 750 pledges. I know the economy is still bad. In fact, yesterday’s drop in the stock market was probably scary for many. But, we cannot let fear stand in the way of generosity. This is true in our giving to our congregations, in our Mission Support and in the special gifts we give.

The singing in today’s worship was robust even though some participants were looking a bit tired. The assembly was well engaged. I sang and clapped along as we sang one of my least favorite hymns. Pastor Janet Hunt suggested that judging by how people were singing, I must be the only one who doesn’t like it. Rather than risk offending you, I’ll just keep the hymn title to myself. By coincidence, I sat in the section of the worship space where our own bishop was distributing bread for Communion.

This was an easy assembly for me. I go along mostly to help the bishop and our voting members in any way that I am able. Our voting members had very few needs, which gave me more time to network and enjoy the company of some colleagues from across the church whom I see infrequently. I also go to be as well informed of the work of the ELCA as I can possibly be, so that I might serve the congregations of our synod better.

As I write this, I am at Orlando International Airport with about two hours to sit at the gate. I am reflecting on the positive end to the proceedings. I am fortunate to be a pastor of a church that is committed to making an impact in the world. I am privileged to serve a synod that is committed to outreach. God’s work. Our hands. It’s more than just a catchy slogan. It describes what we do as members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are claimed by Christ and given a mission. I am happy to be walking with you as we journey together.

Comments? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com/ or comment on Facebook. --JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!