Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Faith Stories


Pastor Chuck Steinke was the synod’s stewardship director prior to me.  At the time, I was glad that I didn’t have to do all that stewardship preaching.  Besides the occasional pastor’s installation, it seemed like preaching and teaching sound stewardship practices was all that he did.  I liked the greater variety that my portfolio afforded me.

When Pastor Steinke left the synod staff, Bishop Wollersheim tapped me to take over as stewardship director.  Soon I was preaching and teaching stewardship most of the time.  It’s not that stewardship wasn’t a passion of mine.  I was just afraid that serving as stewardship director would be somehow limiting.

After I had been preaching and teaching stewardship for four years, the ELCA created the position of Director of Evangelical Mission, with a job description that included stewardship.  Pastor Kurt Nordby joined our staff as our DEM and I passed the stewardship baton to him.  My job description once again included a lot of variety.  To my surprise, I missed the stewardship work!  I had found it to be much more fulfilling than I had anticipated.  I told Kurt that he could count on me to help in any way I could.

Fortunately, I am still called upon throughout the year and especially each fall to do some stewardship preaching.   In my preaching, I often tell the story of how I learned to be a good steward.  It began humbly in Sunday school and has continued to the present day.  I am still learning how to be generous.  In fact, I think a lot about what it takes to actually be generous.  For me, generosity is marked by unselfish, sacrificial giving.

I have learned to tell my stewardship story by listening to the stories of others.  We need to hear those stories in worship on Sundays.  As a pastor, I have had the privilege of hearing faith stories around kitchen tables, in circle meetings, in small groups, and in my office; but I have heard precious few in worship.  Whether we call them temple talks, testimonies, faith stories, or something else, we need to hear each other’s stories.  We would benefit from hearing how God is at work in the lives of others.  I think we would all become much more comfortable in talking about our faith if we just practiced a little.  What better place than in the midst of your own congregation?

Can your congregation make room in its worship for faith stories?  Are you willing to tell your own story?  Are you willing to hear the stories of others?

Comments?  Please go to http://niselca.blogspot.com or comment on Facebook.  --JC

1 comment:

  1. At First, Rock Island, we have included faith stories or temple talks in our fall Stewardship Emphasis for many years. This year, we used the program, "Walking with Jesus," and had 3 temple talks, one at the beginning of worship over 3 Sundays. Each had a different topic, using examples from the viewpoint of the member of the congregation who was speaking. I think that we would miss these talks if we didn't have them at worship.

    Wanda Esping, First, Rock Island

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!