Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How it Happened, Ten Years Ago


There was a message to call the bishop waiting on my desk when we returned from vacation.  I called the synod office and Julie told me that Bishop Wollersheim wanted to see me as soon as possible. I told her I could come in the next day.

I did not even ask why he needed to see me. At the time, I was serving as secretary of the synod and I figured that the bishop needed my signature on a letter or some official form. As I got ready to leave for Rockford, my son asked me where I was going and why.  When I told him, he said, “The bishop wants you to be his assistant.” To this day I do not know what prompted him to say this.

Little time was spent on pleasantries in the bishop’s office. He got right to the point. “I want you to join the staff.”  I was flattered, surprised and unconvinced that this is what God had in mind. I asked for time to pray. The bishop agreed.

My sense of call to serve the church as a parish pastor was firm and by this time longstanding.  I could not imagine doing anything else. The bishop’s plan was a challenge to my vocational self-understanding.

I entrusted my mutual ministry committee with my dilemma. It was not a kind thing to do to these folks, but I needed their prayerful support.  Three days later, a phone call from the bishop for my decision was proof that the Holy Spirit answers him more quickly than me. I needed just a little more time.

Ten years have now passed since I began my call to the synod. In February of 2002, I was warmly welcomed as a colleague by old friends, Sandy Musch, Pastor Chuck Steinke, Pastor Janet Hunt and Pastor Barb Rapp. I hit the ground running and it feels like I have been running ever since, which is exactly how I like it.

I have been privileged to interact with almost every pastor and every congregation in the synod. I have worked in areas that reflect my passions in ministry—youth, worship and stewardship to name just three. I have learned call process and finances. I have been stretched by working with congregations in conflict. I have learned how to be a “non-anxious presence” in some very anxious situations. I have celebrated and mourned, preached and listened, led and followed, studied and acted.  I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles and listened to countless books in the car.  I have bid farewell to some staff members and welcomed new ones.  More than anything else, I have prayed.

In my years of ordained ministry, God has called me to serve the church in unanticipated ways in unanticipated places.  I have been blessed in it all. Working for you in the synod continues to be an incredible privilege.  I need your prayers and appreciate your support.

Comments?  Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com or comment on Facebook.  --JC




2 comments:

  1. You have been a wonderful addition to the staff Pr Jeff and we are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you answered that call. The Holy Spirit was working in your son that day, as we see so many times when we don't realize it. I have been blessed to work with you through First, Rock Island. May God bless your future. Wanda Esping, Admin Asst and member, First, RI.

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!