Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Health & Wellness

The synod’s Health and Wellness Task Force is currently encouraging those of us with Portico health coverage to take a health assessment as a first step toward earning money back and becoming healthier. My wife and I both worked through the assessment in early January and have begun earning our points for 2012.

Pastor Sarah Schaffner, a member of our task force, has written the following and asked if I might share it with you. I do so gladly.

When I told my sister I was the newest member of the synod’s Health and Wellness Committee, she laughed.  Seriously, the “you’ve got to be kidding me,” “they’ve hit the bottom of the barrel” kind of laugh.  And, although I acted offended, I know she’s right; because health and wellness have not been at the top of my priority list.  I try really hard:  like I lose 50 pounds (but then gain back 40); I fill out my health assessment online like I’m supposed to (but Steve logs in for me, so I’ll get the points I need); I’m really, really, really awesome at starting exercise programs (and even better at ending them).  But, you know what I’m tired of the yo-yo; I’m tired of feeling like a failure; of having resources and not using them; of gaining and losing and still feeling not good enough no matter where I am.  So, here is my goal (and thank you to my Coach Natasha for helping me!):  Next year, I will be the Health and Wellness Committee’s poster child.  And it’s not going to be because I’m a size 8 (or 10, or heck even 12).  It’s not going to be because I can run a 5K or because I eat 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.


It IS going to be because today is the first day of a long string of days, when I look into the mirror and see a precious child of God (not those other horrible things I tell myself).  It IS going to be because I’m taking small steps (even if it’s clichĂ©) to move more and eat less.  It IS going to be because my struggles might encourage you to take a step of your own.


What do you think about instead of just phoning (or logging) it in this year, you actually take those small steps to love yourself, to care for yourself, to be the self God created you to be.  It might be fun if next year we had to get a bigger poster; a poster that shone with all our faces—faces that sure might be a little thinner, a little healthier but a whole lot happier.  


So, here I go…


Step One Taken.


Why don’t you take the next one with me?   (Go to www.elcaforwellness.org to get paid for it!)


Your Future Co-Poster Child,
Sarah Schaffner


Comments? Go to http://niselca.blogspot.com or comment on Facebook. Thanks for joining the conversation.  For more information: Click here.  --JC





No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!