Saturday, July 28, 2012

ELCA Youth Gathering--Practice Discipleship


I was walking alone down a street in the French Quarter.  I was wearing our synod’s youth t-shirt and my youth gathering wristband , both of which identified me as being part of the massive gathering that had invaded New Orleans.  A woman walking in the opposite direction stopped me to say, “Thank you for being here.”  That’s it.  It was just a simple word of thanks.

I had heard similar stories, but had not experienced it myself.  It took me by surprise.  My son was speaking with the concierge of his hotel.  He too expressed his thanks for what our ELCA youth were doing for his city.  He told my son that since Hurricane Katrina he had seen many groups come and go.  He was impressed with the ELCA because “you practice what you preach.”  He no doubt was referring to the 400 service and learning projects being done across the city.  They were done in the name of justice, but they were also a great example of discipleship.

Practice Discipleship.  One day of the recent youth gathering was devoted to learning more about and practicing discipleship.  In recent years, the ELCA has emphasized seven faith practices associated with discipleship.  They are pray, study, worship, invite, encourage, serve and give.  After a morning of worship and study, our youth were sent out into the city to explore discipleship in a fun way.  I was not part of a group as they discussed “invite.”  I wish I had been because the youth discussed how they could be more inviting personally and in their congregations.  They may have ideas to share with you in their home congregations.

Don’t be surprised if your youth’s idea of invitation is a bit broader than your own.  At the youth gathering, I believe that the message they heard regarding radical inclusivity was the most well received of any.  If you would like to hear the Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber’s message click here: http://youtu.be/kM9Y5S3UYi8.

Are there ways your congregation could have some fun in discovering how to be better disciples of Jesus?

Comments?  Go to the blog site or comment on Facebook.  --JC

3 comments:

  1. I was really touched by Rev. Nadia's message. Our Pastor, Jane McChesney had put a link on facebook, so I listened to it a week or so ago. So happy to hear that she was one of the presenters at the ELCA Youth Gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pastors have been preaching this stuff about welcoming, inclusivity, grace, and discipleship for a long time. It is good to know that thevyouth of the ELCA are taking it to heart...and outstripping their elders, even their pastors, in putting it into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what would happen if we required all of our attendees at the Church Wide Assembly in Pittsburg to do some sort of service project while we are there. Maybe the adults could follow the lead of the youth...

    ReplyDelete

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just click anonymous below. Please remember to include your name and congregation when posting a comment. Thanks for joining the conversation!